The Tapestry of Culture
Rosman and Rubel
Chapter 12 Study Guide
- What kinds of emotions do Rosman and Rubel suggest that art
- Where is art produced for art's sake?
- What do the Mano of Liberia say happens to a person when he
dons a mask?
- Why do people conform to the societal rules among the Mano?
- What kind of emphasis runs throughout Kwakiutl art?
- What are permanent ways of decorating the human body? What
are temporary ways?
- What are four levels at which artistic style may be spoken of?
- Where does an artist of the Poro Society get his inspiration
to carve a particular mask?
- What are three ways that music and dance differ from painting
- What is a person called who studies the music of different
- What kind of musical scale is the most common in the world?
How many tone does it have?
- In Zaire how man many different rhythms can a musical piece
have at one time?
- What has dance become in Western society for the most part?
What is it associated with in most societies?
- What is a characteristic of dances among the Swahili due to
the Islamic custom of purdah?
http://www.bterry.com/anthropology/rosman/chapter12.htm hosted at http://bible.ovu.edu/terry/anthropology/rosman/chapter12.htm
Last updated on September 1, 2003
Page maintained by
Copyright © 2002 Bruce Terry