The Tapestry of Culture
Rosman and Rubel
Chapter 2 Study Guide
A Kwakiutl Marriage pp. 34-41 (8th ed.); pp. 33-38 (9th ed.)
- Who was Boaz's field researcher among the Kwakiutl? What three cultures was he most familiar with? In what three decades did he do research?
- How many stages were there to a Kwakiutl marriage?
- How many blankets were often given in the negotiation stage of a Kwakiutl marriage? Whom were they given by and to?
- What is the Kwakiutl term for a group of relatives?
- What did the groom's party dress as when they went to get the bride?
- How many more blankets were given in a potlatch to get the bride? How many of these blankets were given to the guests on the groom's side?
- When did the repurchase of the wife usually take place? What were the objects in the repurchase potlatch known as?
- How many times was the cycle of moving and repurchasing the bride carried out before she was allowed to "stay for nothing"?
- What was enhanced with each potlatch?
http://www.bterry.com/anthropology/rosman/chapter2.htm hosted at http://bible.ovu.edu/terry/anthropology/rosman/chapter2.htm
Last updated on January 26, 2017
Page maintained by
Copyright © 2005 Bruce Terry