The Tapestry of Culture
Rosman and Rubel
Chapter 3 Study Guide
- What part of culture is central to culture?
- What is a difference between animals and humans?
- What are two characteristics of language?
- Who pointed out that the units that carry meaning are two-
- What are the basic sound units of a language called?
- What term refers to two sounds that are variations of one
phoneme in different phonetic environments?
- What is the term that refers to the smallest unit of language
that carries meaning?
- What term refers to morphemes that can stand independently?
What term refers to morphemes that are always attached to
- What term refers to morphemes that have different forms but
the same meaning?
- What term refers to the rules by which larger grammatical
units, such as phrases and sentences, are formed?
- What is a complete description of a language called?
- To what language family do most of the languages of modern
- What does Noam Chomsky claim that the shared characteristics
found in all languages are due to?
- What characteristic does language share with other facets of
culture that one may not be aware of?
- What stage do two societies that speak the same language go
through before they develop two separate languages?
- What is the mother language that several languages come from
referred to as?
- What is a language that is completely unrelated to any other
known language called?
- What methodology is used to systematically study two
languages thought to be related?
- What term refers to language change due to the borrowing of
one language from another?
- What are two terms that refer to languages created social
conditions such as trade?
- What is the most important characteristic of pidgins?
- What is a pidgin called when it becomes the native language
for a young generation?
- What two men argued that language was a guide to social
reality? Which one took the more extreme position?
- What term refers to the anthropological investigation of how
cultures organize and classify the world?
- By how many features can all kinship terminologies be
- What is the minimum number of colors that a society can
distinguish? What are the English equivalents of these
- What principle of classification was introduced by Roman
Jakobson? What category in Jakobson's system is the most
general and inclusive?
- What distinction did Saussure make (give both French and
- How are men's and women's speech different in British
- How are men's and women's speech different in Japanese
- Among the Kanuri, what kind of speech shown control and
exercise of power?
- What American sociolinguist has taken the lead in studying
African-American Vernacular English?
http://www.bterry.com/anthropology/rosman/chapter3.htm hosted at http://bible.ovu.edu/terry/anthropology/rosman/chapter3.htm
Last updated on February 19, 2004
Page maintained by
Copyright © 2002 Bruce Terry