The Tapestry of Culture
Rosman and Rubel
Chapter 5 Study Guide
- What are two terms, used in both literature and anthropology,
that refer to kinds of symbols?
- What is marriage considered metaphorically a form of among the
- What kind of terms are often used as metaphors for life in
- Who are often the only ones in a society to know the most
important and esoteric symbols?
- What is a metaphor for sexual intercourse in a great many
- Where do men take their meals in some New Guinea societies?
- In societies with totems, what are members of a clan often not
allowed to eat?
- With what kind of people do most societies not eat?
- How do animal categories correspond to social distance in
English society according to Edmund Leach?
|Types of Animals||Categories of People|
- What metaphor did Teutonic tribes use to symbolize family
- What is the most prestigious place in a Nuchanilth (Nootka)
house to have a hearth?
- What animals and plants are used to symbolize the United
States, the former Soviet Union, and Lebanon?
- When men in authority in the United States wore long hair,
how was opposition to authority shown?
- Who always wins a cricket game in the Trobriand Islands?
- What color symbolizes death and mourning in the United
States? What color in China?
http://www.bterry.com/anthropology/rosman/chapter5.htm hosted at http://bible.ovu.edu/terry/anthropology/rosman/chapter5.htm
Last updated on September 1, 2003
Page maintained by
Copyright © 2002 Bruce Terry