The Tapestry of Culture
Rosman and Rubel
Chapter 7 Study Guide
- On what two bases do all societies make social distinctions?
- List three tasks which may be men's role in one society and
women's in another:
- What gender roles are more valued in most societies?
- In Wogeo and other societies, how do men perceive women?
- What are the third and fourth genders?
- What are the 'hijab' and the 'chadar'? Where are they worn?
- How many age grades are found in Nandi society? What are the
- How many categories are women divided into in Nandi society?
What are they?
- What do the Nyakyusa establish when they make a new age set?
- What kind of rites mark the change from boyhood to manhood in
- When does the corresponding rite for girls typically occur?
- What cultural practice (often outlawed in the West) is
practiced on females in African societies when they get
http://www.bterry.com/anthropology/rosman/chapter7.htm hosted at http://bible.ovu.edu/terry/anthropology/rosman/chapter7.htm
Last updated on September 1, 2003
Page maintained by
Copyright © 2002 Bruce Terry